Wednesday 27 July 2016

Review: Truly Madly Guilty

Truly Madly Guilty Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was my very first Liane Moriarty book, which astonishes me now I think about it and it won't be my last.

I have to admit that at first I found the start of the book a little slow for my personal taste, I was almost fed up with the mystery surrounding the day of the barbecue. I wanted to know and see why the fall out was so great! However, the deeper into the book I started to better understand Moriarty's technique and it made the plot richer.

There are seven central characters that you follow through the plotline and you see how the effects of a tragic incident effects them, while having to guess what it is that made them feel so guilty. I actually figured out what the incident was, I feel like the hints about it are a little unsubtle, but what it was totally explained why the characters were finding it so difficult to move on.

Erika and Oliver were the couple that I felt grew the most in the book. They have both had terrible childhoods, though you see more intensely Erika's back story. I think that Moriarty wrote her especially well, a woman who already had a mental illness with added stress? It was always going to be a tough call. Her husband, Oliver, I think was my favourite character. He's often underestimated by every character apart from Erika. He's insightful and smart and often in the book the only one who speaks any sense!

Clementine and Sam were infuriating for most of the book. I kept getting frustrated with them and the fact that they wouldn't just talk to each other. This does get explained later on in the book in a way that I was satisfied by, but I still don't exactly thing Clementine is a nice person. Of all the characters we meet she is the most self-centered!

Tiffany, Vid and Dakota are a charming family. They started of as quite unappealing, but they actually really grew on me. Tiffany is such a deep character and the caring and thought she shows for her daughter is lovely. I feel with her Moriarty is really pushing home that a woman can be beautiful, not just beautiful SEXY, and be smart.

There are a few plot holes and confusing transitions that I assume will be ironed out by the time of publication, so overall I really enjoyed this book and am pleased I gave it a shot.

~I recieved a free copy of this book for a honest review~

This review and others is also posted on: http://belleblogsbooks.blogspot.co.uk/


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment